Completion Requirements: Political Science Major (ASMAJ2015)
The Major Program in Political Science is designed for students who wish to obtain a coherent background in Political Science, but who do not wish to take a Specialist Program in this subject. The program may be of interest to students who are specializing in related fields such as Economics, History, or Sociology. It requires that seven credits in Political Science be taken as part of a twenty credits degree program.
The following requirements are effective for all students registering in the program as of March 1, 2020.
(7.0 POL full courses or the equivalent in half courses. Of these, 1.5 FCEs must be 300+ series courses and 0.5 FCE must be 400 series.)
- 1.0 FCE Political Science 100-level courses, or
- 0.5 FCE Political Science 100-level course and 0.5 FCE Political Science First-Year Foundations Seminar, or
- 0.5 FCE Political Science 100-level course and 0.5 FCE First-Year Seminar from another unit approved by the Department of Political Science.
- 0.5 FCE from: POL201H1/ POL208H1/ POL218H1
- POL214H1/ POL224H1and 0.5 FCE at the 200-level or higher years in Canadian Politics
- 1.0 FCE in Diversity and Identity courses
- 2.0 FCEs additional POL courses
- No more than 1.0 FCE 100-level courses may be used to fulfill the program requirements.
- No more than 1.0 FCE NON-POL courses approved for POL program requirements may be used to fulfill the program requirements.
- The Department will accept the courses below as a substitute for POL 222H1. Please contact Elizabeth Jagdeo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ECO 220Y1- Introduction to Data Analysis and Applied Econometrics
GGR 270H1 – Introductory Analytical Methods
PSY 201H1- Statistics I
SOC 202H1 – Introduction to Quantitative Methods in Sociology
STA 220H1 – The Practice of Statistics I
As of May 1st, the various groups of courses will be posted on the Department of Political Science Website https://politics.utoronto.ca/undergraduate/courses/fallwinter-timetable/
- Political Science 100-level courses
- Political Science First-year Foundation Seminars
- First-Year Seminars Offered by other units approved by POL
- Canadian Politics Courses
- Diversity and Identity Courses
- NON-POL Courses approved for POL Program requirements
In addition to completing the above program requirements, students must also fulfill the degree requirements to graduate. Information on the degree requirements are outlined in the Faculty of Arts & Science Calendar.
Students with questions relating to the degree requirements should consult with their College Registrar.