- Comparative Politics
- MESc, Justus-Liebig-University of Giessen, F.R.G.
- M.A., Justus-Liebig-University of Giessen, F.R.G.
- Ph.D., Justus-Liebig-University of Giessen, F.R.G.
Canada Research Chair in Innovation and Governance
Research interests: clusters, innovation systems and knowledge creation, political economy and economic geography, industrial restructuring and globalization, regional policy and governance. Publications include books on temporary knowledge ecologies in the Asia-Pacific region (ed., 2015), trade shows in the globalizing knowledge economy (2014), economic geography (2012), the dynamics of knowledge creation and innovation (ed., 2011), the relational economy (2011), regional multiplier effects of universities (ed., 2002), industrial restructuring and the division of labor in the German chemical industry (1997), and growth trajectories of US and Canadian high-technology regions (1991). He has published many conceptual and empirical articles in internationally renowned journals, such as Economic Geography, Environment and Planning A, European Planning Studies, Geoforum, Industry and Innovation, Journal of Economic Geography, Journal of International Business Studies, Progress in Human Geography, Regional Studies, and the German Journal of Economic Geography.
- Innovation Systems and Knowledge-Creation
- Political Economy and Economic Geography
- Industrial Restructuring and Globalization
- Regional Policy and Governance
- Following Germany’s Lead
- Bathelt Wins Grant
- German Studies Lecture
- Professor Harald Bathelt Releases Book on the Globalizing Knowledge Economy
- No guarantees in a 'Silicon Valley' – Harald Bathelt and Peng-Fei Li
- Professor Harald Bathelt was recently interviewed for the Chinese newspaper Wenhui Bao
- Professor Harald Bathelt discusses Canadian innovation (or lack thereof) on TVO's The Agenda with Steve Paikin
- Old manufacturing dogs can learn new tricks: Professor Harald Bathelt leads U of T innovation study
- The Elgar Companion to Innovation and Knowledge Creation
- Temporary Knowledge Ecologies The Rise of Trade Fairs in the Asia-Pacific Region
- The Relational Economy: Geographies of Knowing and Learning
- Beyond Territory: Dynamic Geographies of Knowledge Creation, Diffusion and Innovation
- Trade Shows in the Globalizing Knowledge Economy