Instructions for 400 Level Preferences
Attention: 4th year POL Majors, Specialists and Joint POL Specialists
In 2010-2011, the Faculty of Arts and Science started requiring major subject Posts to have at least a 0.5 credit at the 400-level, thus requiring the Department of Political Science to move to a new registration system to allocate spaces in the 400-level courses. This step was taken to ensure that 4th year POL Majors, Specialists and Joint POL Specialists are able to enrol in the required # of 400-level courses needed for program completion.
To best match up the available classes with students’ preferences and to ensure that you can complete your POL program requirements in order to graduate in June 2013, we need you to rank in order your preferred 400 –level courses.
Between June 4 – 24, 2012, please go to https://apps.artsci.utoronto.ca/pre/pol400/ and rank your course preference. Login will be based on your UTORid. The site will be open and available until June 24, 2012. You can modify your course preferences/ranking at any time between June 4 – 24, 2012.
- All students must ensure they have the necessary prerequisites for the courses they have ranked in their preferences. Do not assume that being able to register in a course means that you satisfy the prerequisites (prerequisites are not checked at the time of enrolment). However prerequisites will subsequently be checked by the Department and students enrolled in courses for which they do not have the published prerequisites may have their registration in those courses cancelled at any time. The Department may not be able to assist you if you were assigned a space in a course for which you lacked the prerequisites and were subsequently removed from that course.
- Students who have already completed the required number of 400-level courses needed for POL program completion will not necessarily be assigned a space in one of these course(s). Note that Specialists and Joint POL Specialists require 1.0 FCEs; Majors require 0.5 FCE.
- There is no guarantee you will receive your preferred course(s). The system will attempt to most optimally match up students’ preferences with the available slots but there are many students to accommodate.
- Students will be slotted into their assigned course(s) on ROSI immediately before registration begins on July 10, 2012.
- Between July 10 – August 7, 2012, students may request additional courses on ROSI if places remain open in those courses.
- Starting August 9, 2012, waitlist for the 400-level courses (P* indicator) will be available. However please note that almost all POL 400-level courses are offered as joint undergraduate – graduate courses, with class size approximately 20-25 students. If you are more than #3 on the waitlist for POL 400-level courses, it is unlikely you will be able to enroll in the course and you may want to look at other options.